Every year, students in Hong Kong are encouraged to participate in a theme-based Christmas card design competition hosted by the Australian Consulate-General.
The purpose of this competition is to encourage young artists to start their own cultural exploration of how they might celebrate Christmas in an Australian summer, which is very different to how those who live in the Northern Hemisphere might do so. In a country like Australia in the southern hemisphere, Christmas comes in the middle of a very hot summer. Images of snow, fireplaces and warm clothing are not those that are common for Australians. Many Australians spend their Christmas outdoors, at a beach or camping. Christmas Dinner may be a barbeque in the backyard or a picnic on a beach or in a park.
The competition also aims to promote thought among young students about cultural traditions, as well as foster friendship between Australia and Hong Kong.
Winning designs will be used as the official Christmas greetings of the Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong. Winning entries and selected other works will form a Christmas art exhibition at Hong Kong Fringe Club.
The theme of My Australian Christmas Card Competition 2019
This year's theme is A Very Aussie Christmas. Whether people are celebrating on Australia's famous ocean coastline, in lush tropical forests or in the dry, sandy outback, Christmas is about spending time with friends and family.
There are fewer international communities that have a stronger and longer-lasting connection than between Australia and Hong Kong. Migrants from the Hong Kong area first arrived in Australia more than 200 years ago. Today we are great friends and partners and we hope that this arts project will continue to promote the strong relationship between Australia and Hong Kong.
We also hope it will stimulate creativity and thought among students about the importance of friendship in celebrating sameness and our differences. In Australia, for example, Christmas is celebrated in summer. Families and friends might spend their Christmas outdoors at home, camping, in a park or at the beach.
Submission dates: Now to 25 Nov 2019
Date of results announcement: 6 Dec 2019
Awards and opening ceremony at Hong Kong Fringe Club: 17 Dec 2019
Exhibition dates: 18 Dec to 30 Dec 2019
Eligibility & Categories
The competition is open to all students from primary and secondary schools in Hong Kong.
Representatives of each school are nominated and confirmed by schools. No individual entry will be accepted.
Students may enter in one of four categories:
- Junior Primary (primary 1 to 3)
- Senior Primary (primary 4 to 6)
- Junior Secondary (secondary 1 to 3)
- Senior Secondary (secondary 4 to 6)
Judging panel consists of representatives of the Australian Consulate-General and related sponsors. Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Effectiveness in promoting the competition theme
- Visual aesthetics
- Adherence to the competition rules
The competition consists of the following awards for each category:
- Winner: Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$1,800.
- First runner-up: Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$800.
- Second runner-up: Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$400.
- Merit Awards (up to five): Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$100.
Winning designs will be used as the official Christmas greetings of the Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong. Winning entries and selected other works will be exhibited for public viewing at Hong Kong Fringe Club from 18 to 30 December 2019 and highlighted on the Australian Consulate-General website. Artists of all selected works will receive an Award Certificate.
How to participate
Participants must submit their entries on or before 25 November, 2019 through their schools. Entries, with completed entry forms, must be delivered, either by hand or post to:
Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong,
Public Affairs Section,
23/F, Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road,
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
(for entries by post, the postal chop date will be the date of receipt).
Please mark deliveries as “My Australian Christmas Card Competition 2019”.
- Entries must demonstrate an understanding of how Australians celebrate Christmas; extra judging consideration will be given to elements identifying Australia’s relationship with Hong Kong.
- The artwork should be presented on paper either A4 (297 mm x 210 mm) or A3 (420 mm x 297 mm) in size and in either landscape or portrait orientation. The artwork should be created per the above sizes and not presented as a card format (i.e. not folded or with inside text). Other dimensions will not be accepted.
- The artwork may be done in pencil, crayon, felt tip, paint, or by using computer drawing or design software in 2D only.
- We will not accept entries that used additional materials to create 3D effects, including glitter-type materials.
- Participants should write the school name, student’s name, class, and the age category entered on the back of the drawing paper.
- Each participant should submit one entry only. A participant who submits more than on entry will be disqualified.
- Representatives of each school are nominated and confirmed by schools. No individual entry will be accepted.
- Entries must be the participants’ original artworks that have not been published before, nor submitted for other competitions, and must not infringe intellectual property rights.
- All entries become the property of the Australian Consulate-General and, whether selected or not, will not be returned upon submission.
- The Australian Consulate-General assumes the right to edit, alter, publish, reuse, distribute, or exhibit the artworks in any manner whatsoever, including for publicity and educational purposes.
- Staff and their family members of Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong and any related sponsors are not permitted to participate.
- The organiser’s decisions on the competition results are final.
- All personal information collected by the Australian Consulate-General will only be used in matters relating to the “My Australian Christmas Card Competition” which includes for publicity and promotional purposes.
- The Australian Consulate-General reserves all the rights to change the competition rules, regulations, prizes and other arrangements without prior notice.
Please send email to email@example.com, or call Ms Candy Leung at 2585 4481 during office hours.