"My Australian Christmas Card Competition" 2017
Entries close: 24 November 2017
The Christmas season is celebrated in different ways around the world. In Australia, Christmas comes in the middle of the summer holidays! Australia is filled with blue skies and sunshine and intense heat. Many Australians spend their Christmas outdoors at a beach or camping. Christmas Dinner may be a barbeque in the backyard or a picnic on a beach or in a park.
With this in mind, the Australian Consulate-General is inviting Primary 1 to Secondary 6 students in Hong Kong to enter its “My Australian Christmas Card Competition”. Young artists are encouraged to start their own cultural exploration of how they might celebrate Christmas in an Australian summer.
Four winning designs will be used as the official Christmas greetings of the Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong. In addition, selected artworks will form a Christmas art exhibition at the Hong Kong Fringe Club.
This competition also aims to promote thought among young students about cultural traditions, as well as foster friendship between Australia and Hong Kong.
Students may enter in one of four categories:
Junior Primary (primary 1 to 3);
Senior Primary (primary 4 to 6);
Junior Secondary (secondary 1 to 3) and
Senior Secondary (secondary 4 to 6)
Entries should be submitted on or before 24 November 2017. Entry Form can be downloaded or copied on your end as many times as necessary.
Eligibility and Categories
• Students from primary and secondary schools in Hong Kong are welcome to participate.
• The competition will be comprised of four categories: Junior Primary (primary 1 to 3); Senior Primary (primary 4 to 6), Junior Secondary (secondary 1 to 3) and Senior Secondary (secondary 4 to 6).
• Representatives of each school are nominated and confirmed by schools.
• No individual entry will be accepted.
The judging panel consists of representatives of the Australian Consulate-General and related sponsors. Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
Effectiveness in promoting the card’s theme
Adherence to the competition rules
The competition consists of the following awards for each category:
1. Winner: Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$1,500.
2. First runner-up: Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$700.
3. Second runner-up: Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$300.
4. Merit Awards (up to five): Award Certificate plus Book Coupons valued at HK$100
Winning designs will be used as the official Christmas greetings of the Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong. Winning entries and selected other works will be exhibited for public viewing at Hong Kong Fringe Club from 15 to 28 December 2017 and highlighted on the Australian Consulate-General website. Artists of all selected works will receive an Award Certificate.
Participants must submit their entries on or before 24 November 2017 through their schools. Entries, with completed Entry Forms, must be delivered, either by hand or post to:
Public Affairs Section,
23/F, Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road,
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
(for entries by post, the postal chop date will be the date of receipt).
Please mark deliveries as “My Australian Christmas Card Competition”.
Winners of “My Australian Christmas Card Competition” will be announced on 6 December 2017. The winners’ names and artworks will be published on the Australian Consulate-General website. All winning participants and their schools will be notified individually. Prizes will be presented at a ceremony opening the artwork exhibition at the Hong Kong Fringe Club on 15 December 2017.
Dates to Remember
24 Nov 2017: last day to submit Christmas card design
6 Dec 2017: Winners of "My Australian Christmas Card Competition" announced
15 Dec 2017: Awards and opening ceremony at Hong Kong Fringe Club
15 - 28 Dec 2017: Exhibition of winning desings at Hong Kong Fringe Club
- Entries must demonstrate an understanding of how Australians celebrate Christmas; extra judging consideration will be given to elements identifying Australia’s relationship with Hong Kong.
- The artwork should be presented on paper either A4 (297 mm x 210 mm) or A3 (420 mm x 297 mm) in size and in either landscape or portrait orientation. The artwork should be created per the above sizes and not presentd as a card format (i.e. folded with inside card text) Other dimensions are not accepted.
- The artwork may be done in pencil, crayon, felt tip, paint, or by using computer drawing or design software in 2D only.
- We will not accept entries that used additional materials to create 3D effects, including glitter-type materials.
- Participants should write the school name, student’s name, class, and the age category entered on the back of the drawing paper.
- No individual entry will be accepted. Each participant should submit one entry only. A participant who submits more than on entry will be disqualified.
- Entries must be the participants’ original artworks that have not been published before, nor submitted for other competitions, and must not infringe intellectual property rights.
- All entries become the property of the Australian Consulate-General and, whether selected or not, will not be returned upon submission.
- The Australian Consulate-General assumes the right to edit, alter, publish, reuse, distribute, or exhibit the artworks in any manner whatsoever, including for publicity and educational purposes.
- Staff and their family members of Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong and any related sponsors are not permitted to participate
- The organiser’s decisions on the competition results are final.
- All personal information collected by the Australian Consulate-General will only be used in matters relating to the “My Australian Christmas Card Competition” which includes for publicity and promotional purposes.
- The Australian Consulate-General reserves all the rights to change the competition rules, regulations, prizes and other arrangements without prior notice.
More information of Christmas celebrations in Australia, please see websites below:
Please send email to email@example.com, or call Ms Lam at 2585 4482 during office hours.